Ham and Cheese Macaroni Gratin with Emmentaler AOP
- 15 min. Preparation time, 25 min. Cook/bake time, 40 min. Total time
The macaroni, ham and cheese gratin, quick and easy to prepare, is a favorite of young and old…. Prepare it in advance, this will give it an incomparable softness and fragrance.
- Preparation: 15 min. Rest: 1 hour. Cooking: 25 min
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup + 1/2 cup Swiss PDO Emmentaler, grated
- 1 tsp + 2 tbsp of butter
- 4 slices of bone-in ham, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt pepper
- Cook the macaroni "al dente" according to the package directions. Drain. Book.
- Heat (but not boil) in a pan, the cream and milk with the garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and 1/3 cup of grated cheese. Mix this cream with the macaroni. Reserve 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Add the ham to the macaroni and mix well. Pour the macaroni and cream into a buttered gratin dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs with olive oil and remaining cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle it over the gratin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn on the broiler. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes for a super crunchy crust.
Prepare the gratin the day before. Cover with cling film and set aside in the fridge until the next day. The macaroni will absorb the garlic scented cream and will be even softer. Heat it to 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes. Everyone's favorite is the crust. The trick to a crispy crust? Toss the grated cheese with breadcrumbs and olive oil. Use a baking sheet and spread the macaroni on it. Thus, the surface area of the crust will be greater….
Delicious with a mixed salad.