Muffins with Le Gruyère AOP
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sodium carbonate
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup Le Gruyère AOP Classic, grated or diced
- 3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pili pili powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup melted butter + 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 420° F. Sieve the flour with salt, baking powder and the sodium carbonate. Add the grated nutmeg, Le Gruyère AOP, chives, the pili-pili powder and the pepper. Mix everything well. Put aside.
- Mix the milk, eggs and melted butter in a bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix quickly. The dough needs to stay crumbly so that the muffins are nice and airy.
- Pour the batter into the buttered muffin tins.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Then lower temperature to 390° F for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm.
Add ham or bacon, diced into small cubes.
This goes well with Kamairicha tea, a green tea from Japan. Or a Nilgiri Coonoor tea - black tea from India.